Latest trends in health, could be new diets, new equipment or even new exercises. Today I’m going to talk about something that I have been hearing a lot about. A new type of diet that everyone seems to be going for – the Keto diet.
The Ketogenic diet or keto for short is not the normal diet one would go for. It is surprisingly quite the opposite! It is a low carb, high-fat diet that could help you lose weight. Who doesn't love a high-fat diet! So while talking about this diet further, I got to know that it reduces your carbohydrate intake while increasing your fat intake. Now by eating very few carbs, your body produces ketones which are small fuel molecules. These act as alternative fuel source for the body and are produced by the liver from fat. Thus this diet has an increased portion of fat!
Now we did promise not to bore you with lengthy details, so let’s move from the medical to practical points. So what I am going to do is give you some beginners tips for the keto diet!
- Natural fats – olive oil, butter, cheese, low-fat yogurt or coconut oil. It is better to stay off milk or drinks that have high levels of sugar.
- Eggs – This comfort food in any way is a good addition to the keto diet.
- Nuts – say peanuts, almonds, pecan or macadamia. Try to avoid cashews or pistachios or nuts high in carbs.
- Meat – The favourite food across the world, it better be unprocessed. Because unprocessed means you get to have low-carbs and organic food.
- Vegetables – Yes, meat and veggies, now don’t frown upon it, but this is one of the best ways to balance your keto diet. Stick to veggies that grow above the ground.
- Seafood – concentrate on including high-fat sea foods in your diet.
- Tea or coffee can be included, but in moderation and preferably without sugar.